Letting users have your site read out loud to them using BrowseAloud will make your site easier to use for large numbers of people.
In the US and Canada there are:
- 45+ million people with literacy problems (source :U.S. Nat'l Literacy Survey 1992)
- 10-15% of the population with a learning disability (source: National Institutes of Health)
- 18% of the population over age 5 for whom English is a second language (US Census Bureau 2002)
- 13+% of children aged 3-21 who receive special education (source: www.nces.ed.gov)
- 12% of the Canadian population with some type of disability (source: Statistics Canada)
- 22% of Canadians who are functioning at the lowest literacy level (source: Statistics Canada)
BrowseAloud-enabling your site will help you in your endeavors to ensure that all citizens have equal access to information online .Today, most governments (local, county, state, and federal), government agencies, and large US and Canadian companies are improving their websites' accessibility.
BrowseAloud on your site can also increase traffic and improve search engine rankings and subscriber sites are automatically added to a Member Directory of Speech-Enabled Websites.
Making your site BrowseAloud-enabled is done remotely, so you don't need to make any changes to your site. Updates to the program are handled automatically via the Texthelp servers.
BrowseAloud has been designed with your website's security in mind. Making your site BrowseAloud-friendly is done remotely, so you don't need to make any changes to your site and it won't affect your website's security.
The BrowseAloud program does not connect with your web servers at any time. All text to speech processing is carried out on the visitor's own computer. All updates of the program are handled by downloads from our servers.
BrowseAloud has been rigorously tested and has Microsoft Gold Certification.